Treasure Coast Section
FAU CUES 50th Anniversary Reception
Unearthing Archaeological Considerations in Planning
Evening, May 22, 2023
AICP CM | Event #9269749
Join your colleagues for a special presentation and Q&A session on Archaeology, Historic Preservation, and Planning by Palm Beach County Planning Division staff, featuring:
- Chris Davenport, MA, RPA - Archaeologist & Historic Preservation Officer
- Bryan Davis, CNU-A - Principal Planner
- Nydia Ponton-Nigaglioni, PhD, RPA - Archaeologist/Planner
- Jeff Gagnon, AICP - Deputy Planning Director (Moderator)
5:30 pm – 6:15 pm: Meet & Greet with Refreshments
6:15 pm - 7:45 pm: Presentations and Q&A
Don’t miss this opportunity to learn “How It Works” including Key Terms, Laws and Codes, BMPs, Case Studies and More!
Please RSVP by Thursday, May 18th to firstname.lastname@example.org or 561-233-5332.
Location: Palm Beach County Vista Center, 2300 N. Jog Road, West Palm Beach, FL 33411. First Floor – Kenneth S. Rogers Hearing Room (VC-1W-47).
Planning in the Real World: Public and Private Sector Opportunities
Monday, March 20 | 5 - 8 pm | 2 CM
FAU Dorothy F. Schmidt Performing Arts Center | Room 101 | PA-51 FAU Campus
Make plans now to join your fellow planning colleagues as well as students currently enrolled in the planning and related programs at FAU for this IN-PERSON program. It is guaranteed to be an interesting and lively discussion of several of the different opportunities available in the field of planning.
Join us for a “Meet ‘n’ Greet” from 5 – 6 pm with appetizers and non-alcoholic beverages followed by a Panel Discussion and Q&A Session from 6– 8 pm.
Application is being made for 2 AICP CM Credits.
Click here to register by March 17
The program features a mix of planners with real world public and private sector experience with community redevelopment districts, the environment, historic preservation, transportation, and municipal and county government. Panel Members include:
- Monique Colbert, AICP, Planner, TranSystems
- Scott Evans, AICP, Director, Planning and Development, Riviera Beach Community Redevelopment Agency
- Kevin Fischer, AICP, Director, Palm Beach County Planning Division
- Kim Glas-Castro, AICP, LEED AP, Assistant Village Manager, Village of Palm Springs
- Michelle Hoyland, Principal Planner, Historic Preservation, Delray Beach Development Services Department
- Mark Meyer, Planner II, Palm Beach County Environmental Resources Department
- Yexsy Schomberg, CEO and Principal Planner, Urbana – Moderator
Whether you’re a student or an emerging or mid-level planner or someone who is interested in considering a different path as a planner or would like to know more about achieving future advancement opportunities, you will want to take advantage of this unique program to learn more about the field of planning. Speakers will share their experiences, lessons learned, successes, advice, and other insights with the audience.
The program is sponsored by the FAU Student Planning Society, the Treasure Coast and Broward Sections of the APA FL Chapter, the FAU Department of Urban and Regional Planning, the PBC Planning Congress, and Urbana.
We hope to see you on Monday, March 20!
Treasure Coast Section Event Idea Request
As part of its planning process for 2023, the Executive Committee of the APA Florida Treasure Coast Section is seeking input from our members about preferred program topics to be addressed during 2023.
These would be in addition to the programs and events normally scheduled during the year by the Treasure Coast Section, the Florida Chapter, and/or the APA including the following:
- Feb. 2, 2023 – Joint Professional Societies Annual Legislative Breakfast
- Feb. 23 – 24, 2023 – APA Florida Public Policy Workshop (online)
- Spring 2023 – TC Section Annual Meeting and Family Picnic
- April 1 – 4, 2023 – APA National Conference (Philadelphia)
- May 2023 or August 2023 – TC Section Planning Officials Training Workshop
- Sept. 5 – 8, 2023 – Florida Planning Conference (Jacksonville)
- Dec. 1, 2023 – Joint Societies Holiday Party
- AICP Study Classes (January – March 2023; August – October 2023)
As part of our efforts to offer our members a variety of program opportunities, many of them with AICP CM Credits, we often co-sponsor programs with other professional and allied organizations including other APA Florida Sections, Palm Beach County Planning Council, Treasure Coast Regional Planning Council, FAU Center for Urban & Environmental Solutions, FAU Department of Urban & Regional Planning, Congress of New Urbanism, local governments within the TC region, and various engineering, landscape architecture, code enforcement, and other allied organizations.
Click on the button below to review and select topics proposed by Section Members and Executive Committee members in the past. Please select up to FIVE (5) suggested topics from the list and/or include any other suggested topics you have. We’d also like to know your preferences for in-person, virtual, and/or hybrid programs, time of day, and suggestions for meeting locations.
We’d appreciate hearing from you as soon as possible. The deadline to submit your ideas is Jan. 6.
Review and submit your program ideas here
Welcome to the Treasure Coast!
The Treasure Coast Region is quite diverse in its landscape and natural features. The coastal areas of the region are both heavily populated and developed while western portions of the region remain rural with significant environmental and agricultural influences. The region is home to portions of Lake Okeechobee, the northern extent of the Everglades, Jonathan Dickinson State Park, The Savannahs, and the St. Lucie and Loxahatchee Rivers.