AICP Exam & Preparation
NEW AICP EXAM APPLICATION PROCESSFor the November 2021 exam, APA is continuing a new cost structure and bifurcated application process for the exam. This only affects regular test takers; the Candidate application process remains unchanged. Planners for the regular exam now have the option to either submit only their education and work experience prior to taking the exam, or submit both their education/work experience and three required essays prior to taking the exam. The exam costs reflect these options, and actually taking the exam now costs less for those planners that end up taking the exam multiple times. Those planners that pass the exam, but did not submit their required essays, will need to submit those essays in the next exam cycle, and have them approved, prior to using the AICP certification. The application process for the November 2021 exam opens June 1, 2021.
November 2021 AICP Certification Cycle Dates
- Application window opens: June 1, 2021, 9 am CT
- Application deadline for those intending to submit essays: July 5, 2021, 3 pm CT
- Final application deadline: October 4, 2021, 3 pm CT
- Exam registration opens: June 1, 2021, 9 am CT
- Exam registration & transfer deadline: October 29, 2021, 3 pm CT
- Testing window: November 8 - 22, 2021
- Expedited essay review window opens: July 12, 2021, 9 am CT
- Expedited essay review window closes: July 19, 2021, 3 pm CT
- Regular essay window opens: July 19, 2021, 3 pm CT
- Regular essay window closes: July 26, 2021, 3 pm CT
November 2021 AICP Certification Cycle Fees*Application fee: $70
Planning experience essay fee: $220
Expedited essay review: $290
AICP Exam registration fee: $220
AICP Exam transfer fee: $100
Planning Experience essay appeal fee: $100
*All fees are non-refundable
November 2021 AICP STUDY GROUPThe Treasure Coast AICP Study Group begins August 12 and will run until November. Planners wishing to participate need to contact Henry Bittaker at email@example.com and provide their APA member number and state APA Chapter name. Sessions will be provided LIVE via GoToWebinar and will be recorded. Session recordings and many other study materials, including practice exams, are available to APA members from a ftp site run by the Chapter.
Treasure Coast AICP FTP Site & AICP Exam Study Links
Susan Coughanour, FAICP, and Henry Bittaker, AICP, run AICP STUDY GROUP sessions for the Treasure Coast Section. These sessions are webcast live using GoToWebinar and the webcasts and other extensive study materials are made available on a ftp site. Please contact Henry Bittaker at firstname.lastname@example.org and provide your APA member number and state APA Chapter name in order to obtain a password and instructions on how to access the free ftp site. The Treasure Coast Section also maintains the Treasure Coast Study links that are updated. Click here to download the pdf.
New CPC Study Manual For AICP Exam Available
The new APA Chapter Presidents Council Study Manual for the AICP Certification Exam is now available as an online study manual for $15.
The new CPC study manual for the AICP exam addresses the following topics:
- History timeline, Planners, Planning Movements, Planning law cases, Planning Theory
- Planning research, Spatial analysis, Public engagement, Plan implementation, Project and Program Management, Social Equity
- Comprehensive and Sectoral Planning, Capital Improvements Planning, Fiscal Analysis
- Growth Management, Regional Planning, Coastal Zone Management, Tribal Planning
- Current planning, Sustainability planning, Transportation planning, Economic Development, Housing, Health
- Leadership, Administration and Management
- Planning Ethics