Vote Now On Proposed Bylaw Changes
Every two years, the Chapter President appoints a Bylaws Committee, chaired by the Chapter Secretary, to review the Bylaws and identify any changes needed for consistency with national APA bylaws or Chapter practices and policies. The current Bylaws Committee members are Rochelle Lawandales, FAICP, Brad Cornelius, AICP, LEED Green Associate, Roxann Read, AICP, CFM, Katie Shannon, AICP, CNU-A, LEED GA, and Lara Bouck, PE, AICP (Chair and APA Florida Secretary).
Based on the work of the Bylaws Committee, the APA Florida Executive Committee proposes the changes listed below to the APA Florida Bylaws. In addition to the proposed changes listed below, other minor wording and formatting revisions are proposed throughout to improve grammar and clarity. (To view the actual proposed language, click here.)
The proposed bylaws amendments require approval by a majority of those chapter members voting. Voting is now open through Nov.3. All members should have received an electronic notice with the link to cast a ballot. If you did not receive it contact the chapter office at 850-201-3272 or email@example.com. Please contact Lara Bouck here or 813-494-8101 if you have any comments or questions about the proposed changes.
Summary of Proposed Changes:
Article VI - Chapter Officers, Executive Committee, Terms of Service and Removal
1. Update name of the Article to add “Electronic Voting”
2. Revise (1) to reflect the name change from Vice President of Certification Maintenance to Vice President of Continuing Education.
3. Revise (2)(a) to add language noting virtual meetings and hybrid meetings as approved formats for conducting Chapter business and allowing for a quorum to be established via virtual or electronic means
4. Add subsection (3) to allow for conducting Chapter business between scheduled Executive Meetings via electronic voting, pursuant to provisions as noted in the new language.
Article VII - Duties of Executive Committee Members
1. Add duty under (2)(f) noting that the Immediate Past President will serve on the Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) committee.
2. Revise language under (4)(c) to reflect the acronym change from VPCM to VPCE to reflect the name change as noted under bullet 4a below.
3. Revise language under (6) to reflect:
a. The VPPD will ensure the annual Chapter Planning Conference will include sessions on law, equity and other mandatory APA CM topic areas
b. The VPPD will Chair the FAICP Nominating Committee
c. The acronym change from VPCM to VPCE to reflect the name change as noted under bullet 4a below.
4. Revise language under (8) to reflect:
a. The name change from Vice President of Certification Maintenance (VPCM) to Vice President of Continuing Education (VPCE). All related acronyms have been updated throughout subsection (8).
b. The VPCE will be the lead and principal liaison for continuing education issues.
c. The VPCE will oversee continuing education activities for both AICP certified and non-AICP members.
d. The VPCE will maintain the Chapter CM dashboard on the APA website.
e. The VPCE will serve on the Conference Committee and oversee submittal of the Chapter’s annual conference for CM credits.
f. The VPCE will address education training for both AICP certified and non-AICP members.
g. The VPCE will assist the VPPD with the Chapter’s biennial FAICP Nominating Committee
5. Revise language under (10) to note that the meeting minutes prepared by the Chapter Secretary should note the format of the meeting.
Article VIII - Elections
1. Revise language under (1)(a) to reflect the acronym change from VPCM to VPCE to reflect the name change Vice President of Certification Maintenance (VPCM) to Vice President of Continuing Education (VPCE).
Article IX - Committees
1. Add text in Article introduction to note that in order to promote and encourage equity, diversity, and inclusion for all members across the state, appointments to each committee will be made with a goal of achieving racial, ethnic, social, cultural diversity – in addition to the existing focus on geographic diversity.
2. Revise language under (3) to note that the VPCE will be a member on the Conference Committee.
3. Revise language under (6) to reflect the name change to Vice President of Certification Maintenance.
4. Revise language under (7)(b) to note the EPG committee will include a Vice Chair – rather than a Co-Chair.
5. Revise language under (7)(f) to note the Vice Chair shall serves as the EPG Representative on the EDI committee.
6. Add subsection (12) which adds the Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) Committee as a standing committee and provides language describing the purpose, roles, membership and responsibilities for the committee.
Article X – Membership Meetings
1. Add subsection (4) that provides guidance for how membership meetings may be held as Virtual or Electronic meetings.
Article XV – Other Staff
1. Add language under (1) noting that the Chapter may contract with staff to provide legal and other professional services in addition to the previously noted services.