Michelle Heinrich, AICP (Candidate for Vice-President for Continuing Education)
- Hillsborough County Development Services Department (2001-Present)
- Principal Planner (2012-Present)
- Senior Planner (2004-2012)
- Community Planner (2001-2004)
- City of St. Petersburg (1999-2001), Neighborhood Planner
- Tallahassee-Leon County Planning Department (1999), Intern
- American Planning Association Florida (1998), Legislative Assistant
- Florida State University - Urban and Regional Planning, M.S. (1999)
- University of South Florida - Mass Communications, B.A. (1994)
APA Florida/APA Experience:
- APA Florida Executive Committee – VP Communications (2016-2020)
- Chapter Presidents Council 2020 Leadership Award
- Suncoast Section Executive Committee - Vice Chair (2006)
- Suncoast Section Executive Committee - Secretary (2005)
- APA Florida Local Host Section Conference Committee Member (2005)
- Suncoast Section Horizons Newsletter Chair (2002, 2003)
I am honored to be nominated to serve as your next Vice President of Continuing Education. My professional background consists of over 20 years as a public sector planner. Additionally, I have been a former Sun Coast Section member and APA Florida Executive Committee member. I am a Florida native and am passionate about planning issues in our state; therefore, serving our members in these past roles has been rewarding and enlightening. Through these experiences, I have learned to be responsive to our members and always look for ways to improve our service to them.
Our profession is ever evolving as issues and technologies require us to stay up to date. I am proud that proclaiming you are an AICP certified planner means it goes beyond simply joining a professional association. Instead, it demonstrates that one takes it further by staying educated in the planning field. I believe this is a primary factor that sets us apart and shows our commitment to both the profession and the community. This cannot be done without an active and dedicated VP of Continuing Education to serve you. I welcome that role and intend to provide our members with a variety of Certification Maintenance activities that meets their needs (such as in person, on-demand events and online events) and interests. Maintaining and creating new partnerships with allied organizations to broaden our learning opportunities has been an important membership benefit that I intend to continue. Lastly, I have observed that our members (at all stages of their career) have a genuine interest in sharpening and learning the basic tools of our trade. Therefore, I also plan to explore educational activities for the development of our planning skills.
I appreciate your consideration and hope to receive your vote.