Great Places in Florida Award
DEADLINE EXTENDED UNTIL TUESADAY, AUG. 11!
Do you love strolling down your street? Shopping, people watching, dining outside, or hanging out with friends and family on a beautiful afternoon in your downtown? Have you ever wanted to say “thank you” to your favorite park, townsquare, or nature preserve in your community? Now is your chance to show your love for your favorite place by nominating it for the 2020 Great Places in Florida Award!
Florida is full of amazing places that keep our communities thriving and make this state a wonderful place to live. Great Places stand out with their exceptional character and lasting value. Citizens, planners, business leaders and elected officials work hard to create, sustain and improve the places that we love and enjoy in our cities.
Great Places in Florida is an awards program created to highlight Florida’s great places and the communities and people that have created them. The Great Places Award is an annual selection of places that represent the gold standard in terms of having a true sense of place, cultural and historical interest, community involvement and a vision for tomorrow.
APA Florida is seeking nominations from individuals, local governments and organizations for Great Places in Florida.
A panel of experts from across the state will select the finalists, and the winner will be selected through the People’s Choice online voting phase. The Great Places in Florida winner will be announced just in time for National Community Planning Month in October.
Through the Great Places in Florida program, we celebrate the vitality and local partnerships that have made each place a focal point for community life.
What Makes a Place Great?
- Reflects the local culture or history.
- Relates well to bordering uses.
- Is well maintained.
- Has a unique or special character.
- Promotes human contact and social activities.
- Is safe, welcoming, and accommodating for all users.
- Has design and architectural features that are visually interesting.
- Promotes community involvement.
- Nominations will be accepted: July 6 - Aug. 11, 2020 at 5 pm ET
- Selection Committee will announce ﬁnalists on: Aug. 28, 2020
- People’s Choice voting will run from: Sept. 8 - 25, 2020
- Winner will be announced: Oct. 5, 2020