Mentor a Planning Student
There are several programs at planning schools around Florida offering mentoring services to current planning students. Mentor A Planning Student (MAPS) was launched in 2012 as a way to help students in graduate level planning programs gain a greater understanding of planning as a profession.
The goals of MAPS are:
- to expose students to the actual work environments, responsibilities and interactions of professional planning positions in Florida
- to bring students into a mentor relationship with a practicing public or private sector planner in their region;
- to help planning students begin to develop their professional career networks;
- further facilitate the relationship between university planning programs, APA Florida, sections and planning professionals
MAPS is not intended to be an internship program – rather it is a mentoring program which pairs an experience planner with a first year planning student. The structure for each mentoring experience is flexible.
Mentoring programs are offered at Florida State University through the Capital Area Section, at the University of South Florida through the Sun Coast Section, and at Florida Atlantic University through the Broward and Treasure Coast Sections.
- For more information regarding FSU MAPS, please contact DURP Chair Jeff Brown.
- For more information regarding USF MAPS, please click here.
- For more information regarding mentoring at FAU, please click here.