Feb. 4 Legislative Update
Last week was an off week for interim committee meetings but
they will pick up again for the next three weeks . The latest bill tracking report, as of February 4, can be found
Of interest, bills were filed which would do the following:
- Amend public
meeting notice requirements and public comment provisions (SB 518
,which is similar to the previously filed HB 265).
- Provide a special
one-time calculation and allocation for school districts in certain
counties affected by Hurricane Michael (SB 520).
- Delineate powers of local government to regulate
the operation of micromobility devices (including
motorized scooters and motorized bicycles) and for-hire motorized scooters,
and preempt all other regulation of these devices to state and federal law. (SB 542
,which is similar to the previously filed HB 453).
- Revise the conditions under which a governmental
entity may create or provide mitigation
for a project other than its own (SB 532, which should be compared to the previously
filed HB 521
which removes the provisions that prohibit a governmental entity from creating
or providing mitigation for a project other than its own).
- Authorize local governments to enter in
agreements with certain property owners to record restrictive covenants over
their properties related to affordable
housing (SB 568,
which is identical to the previously filed HB 443).
- Prohibit charter schools from operating as, or
being operated by, certain for-profit organizations (SB 584).
- Require that new construction of any school
facility in certain evacuation zones comply with public shelter design criteria
adopted under the Florida Building Code and creates a Students Bill of Rights related
to school construction and design (SB 586).
- Amend the Regional Rural Development Grants Program to increase the maximum percentage of total infrastructure projects costs for which grants can be awarded and other changes (SB 596).
- Require the Office of Economic and Demographic
Research to provide an annual report on the state’s water infrastructure needs funding. (SB 628).
Please contact the Chapter Office at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about a specific bill or would like to add one to this tracking report.