City of St. Petersburg
St. Petersburg, FL United States
Close Date: 02-11-2022 (11:59 PM EST)
This is very responsible management and professional work directing the City’s development, redevelopment, and urban design activities. Work includes administration of the City’s Land Development Regulations; planning, coordinating and implementing development review for citywide residential and commercial construction projects; the research, design, promotion, and initiation of various programs, regulations, operations, and processes; conducting the selection, placement, promotion, training, development, discipline, safety and appraisal of assigned personnel; and coordinating the day to day operations of the Development Review Services Division. Work requires a thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of municipal planning, land use, and urban design. Work of this class involves the exercise of considerable independent judgment, initiative, ingenuity, diplomacy, and tact; and extensive, productive interaction, including making formal presentations, to City officials, City Council, other governmental agencies, com¬mis¬sions, boards and the public.
Minimum Qualifications. Applicants must:
- Have a valid Bachelor’s degree with major course work in planning, urban design, community and regional planning or a closely related field.
- Possess and maintain a valid Driver License.
- Have at least five (5) years of work experience in zoning and/or urban planning at a senior or management level.
- Have at least two (2) years of work experience supervising or managing one or more employees.
- Have thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of municipal planning, land use, and urban design.
- Be able to prepare, revise and enforce codes, ordinances, and regulations firmly, tactfully, and impartially.
- Be able to present technical information clearly, concisely, and in an interesting manner to City Officials, lay groups and the general public, both orally and in writing.
- Be proficient in the use of a computer and administrative support software such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Acknowledge this position is designated as Emergency Critical (EC) and if hired into the position, you must be immediately available to the department before, during, and after a declared emergency and/or disaster.
Desirable Qualifications. Preferred applicants:
- Possess a valid Master’s degree in planning, urban studies, or public administration.
- Have seven (7) or more years of progressively responsible experience in land development regulation administration and urban planning at a senior or management level.
- Have three (3) or more years of experience supervising or managing three or more employees.
- Possess American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) or American Institute of Architects (AIA) certification.
- Have extensive knowledge of local, municipal, and State of Florida codes and ordinances.
- Have thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of City planning.
- Have considerable knowledge of techniques of effective graphic communication, including skill and ability in graphic illustration, drafting, and design.
Important Application Instructions:
For purposes of employment, re-employment, promotion, transfer or demotion, the most qualified applicants will be selected to continue in the hiring process. At this point, any prior criminal records will be verified. A prior criminal record will not necessarily disqualify a selected applicant from employment.
The City of St. Petersburg is committed to a Drug Free Workplace and compliance with the Department of Transportation (DOT) drug testing rules. Applicants may be required to successfully complete pre-employment drug testing and/or medical exams.
Apply online at www.stpete.org/jobs - Select Apply for Jobs/Register/View Job Postings.
City employees must use the Current City Employee link or use a City computer to access iRecruitment Employee Candidate. The City of St. Petersburg is committed to affirmative action and equal opportunity employment, and encourages individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply for posted positions. In accordance with Chapter 295 of the Florida Statutes, qualified servicemembers/veterans and the spouses/family members of certain servicemembers/veterans receive preference/priority in employment. Eligible applicants are responsible to apply for Veterans’ Preference at the time of submission of any job application. Reasonable accommodations may be made for qualified individuals with disabilities to apply, to interview for positions and to perform the essential job functions.